A couple of weeks ago speculation started to run wild when a small image from taken from this month’s White Dwarf magazine started making the rounds across the interwebs. That image (shown below) was a from a reader’s question asking if Necromunda was going to be making a return considering the success of Shadow War: Armageddon. The response was a teasing, “well, check back next month for some news…” Some thought this was only a reference to the upcoming Necromunda video game, but others dared to hope that this signaled the re-release of one of the more beloved games of the Games Workshop Specialist Games era. Well, today it is official… The Wahammer Community page has posted confirmation that Necromunda is officially coming back!
Along with official confirmation of the return of Necromunda, the post also showed completed and painted minis from the new Escher and Goliath gangs.
The new Escher minis.
The new Goliath minis.
The new release appears to be officially titled, Necromunda: Underhive and it is being shown off today at Forge World Open Day. As such, there are lots of pictures and comments from people who, “talked to Andy,” and are sharing information. The following is, of course, all rumor until officially in print by Games Workshop, but what I’m reading suggests the following:
- No new terrain in the box, but there are hints that it will contain the new GW Sector Mechanicus terrain much like Shadow War: Armageddon
- Four gangs are already complete
- Necromunda will apparently use Activation Points like Space Hulk
- The release schedule will be much like the new Blood Bowl
- The game box will include the Escher and Goliath gangs
- The minis will all be multi-part plastic minis for maximum customization possibilities (yeah!)
- ALL gangs from Hive Primus, Outlanders, and Fanatic Magazine are planned
- Rules will be included not only for the gang warfare we are used to, but also in tunnels making use of Forge World Zone Mortalis tiles
- Full campaign rules and skills are planned
- Intelligence, willpower and other stats from Rogue Trader
- Alternating model activation instead of turn based
That covers the juiciest information that has made it to the internet today. It sounds like there are a number of changes coming to Necromunda, as opposed to the new Blood Bowl being mostly the same core game it has been for over a decade now. Exactly how much it will change remains to be seen. For those who dearly love the old rules set, you can always just take the new minis and terrain and simply use the old rules.
There is no word yet on the most important question… WHEN?! All that has been said so far is that it will follow a similar release schedule to Blood Bowl and that they are now in the “preview” phase of the schedule. At this point in the Blood Bowl cycle, I seem to remember the game being about two or so months away from release at this point of the preview. If I had to guess, I would expect the game to hit the shelves around October or November.
I’m very excited for the release. As I have said before, Necromunda is my favorite game that I have never gotten to play. Now… If Games Workshop could manage to get the Shadow War: Armageddon boxed set back in stock so I can have both games, I will be a happy camper, indeed.
What do you think? Are you looking forward to returning to the Underhive?