Blog output is dry lately. I’ve been working on hobby projects, but work has been pretty hectic, and when I punch out I’ve been wanting to get away from a computer. The local Blood Bowl league is starting up a new season this week, so I made sure I had a new team kitted up. The Mourn Mountain Sabretusks
Several years ago, I got pretty invested in Mantic’s Dreadball. I still miss that game from time to time, and consider it the “one that got away” as it were. Most of all I miss my Zee team. They’re made up of cloned space monkeys and generally considered the worst performing team in the game (as of 1st edition). With the Ogre team being considered the lowest Blood Bowl team, I thought this would be the perfect time to revive those old Zee colors of mine.
Pretty much all red with a little white trim and one piece of light blue pop and that’s it. I went white on all the little metal teeth looking bits, and as these models don’t have cool sci-fi visors, the blue is the front part of the helmets on the Blockers. I sourced extra sprues so I could have five Blockers all in uniform helmets and the one lone Runt Punter stands out with his pose and lack of bucket on his head.
The gnoblar Linegrots don’t even get the blue pop. They’re disposable, so the front office just tosses ’em old red and gray rags to wear.
With the team complete, I’ve now got another bottom dwelling sports team that harkens back to a project from my past. It’s always interesting to me why we choose the projects and schemes that we do, and here we see a theme re-used but updated for a new era.
Our marketing team has come through with the logo above so the Sabretusks will be ready to take the pitch this week. I do have a coach model on order, but they haven’t arrived yet from my LGS. Oh, in our current league, we’re using the rostered Star Player rule, and we drew Griff! Perhaps this season won’t be such a bust after all. 😉
Recently, I’ve found myself in the position of teaching the king of all games, Blood Bowl, to new gamers. I thought this period was behind me and that I had moved on to Blitz Bowl and the occasional Blood Bowl tournament. Well, it turns out Blitz Bowl is an intriguing step onto the pitches of the Blood Bowl universe for new coaches. I have my full orc team for me to take to tourneys, but nothing to loan new players to learn the game with. What teams should I provide?
I’ve had the models for the Elven Union team for a long while, but struggled what to do with their colors and theme. I didn’t have too much for them, so they just stood in my storage bin, sadly unpainted for a long team. It wasn’t until I decided to lean into their fluff of a collection of different elven types that became inspired enough to put paint to plastic.
With Covid numbers coming down and vaccinations in place, I put together a small two-player face-to-face Blitz Bowl League this Spring. The inaugural season wrapped this past weekend. Months of model prep and league rule considerations were put through the paces.
When Blood Bowl was finally revived in 2016, it was reborn in a slightly larger scale from the models I had been coaching on the field for over 25 years. With that release, I decided to sell off my old teams and adapt to the new scale. Having not been too involved in the larger Blood Bowl community in recent years, the reboot of my teams in the newer 32mm was put on the bench. Now, with tournaments starting to resume again, I decided it was time to finally lace up and charge the pitch.
With no excuses left it was time to take the plunge into airbrushing. I combed YouTube looking for how-to videos and decided to follow a few techniques in my application. As with most videos on the topic, once I finally got my feet wet and started to use the airbrush I really wished I had started using it sooner! Continue reading →
While I have written multiple times on the Games Workshop wood elf team here, here, here, and here and posted about the treeman here, I promise you this is the last post I’ll write about this team. Well, mostly promise. What if I add more star players? I probably won’t … but I might. As of now though, they are 100% done. So let’s see what I’ve added since I first started this project way back in the summer of 2019.
I had a plan to write a year-end review of 2020 with all the projects I finished, I even started writing a lengthy post about it that I meant to finish … but here we are in mid-February and I didn’t finish. Part of that delay was mustering the willpower to haul out the lightbox and take some shiny pics of my minis which I didn’t manage to do until last night. Instead of a 2020 review post, I’m going to give each project it’s own post. Because they deserve it! These will not be posted by in any kind 2020 sequential order. First up, the dark elves!
So despite how it seems I actually did ‘finish’ this project the month after my last update. ‘Finishing’ this project actually started the beginning of a very productive time that saw me shy away from posting in favor of feverishly working on hobby projects like a mad scientist. That lasted until the world ended in 2020 and now I’m a year behind schedule on getting updates published. Anyhow, enough of my rambling and on to the near end of this never ending project!
2020 started with a plan to host a gaming weekend in the summer which featured a Blitz Bowl tournament. The dastardly Covid had other plans, but I pushed forth and took the opportunity to get a lot of painting done. Though I didn’t hit all of my goals, I got really close finishing these on December 31st.